Sunday, November 24, 2013

YOU ARE HERE






Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

My work examines maps/mapping as both objects and acts by exploring the systems and conventions of depicting, 
charting, categorizing and interpreting our environment and experiences. Through my investigations I re-present my data through the lens of personal experience. Through the use of both literal and abstract elements, my work represents a sort of personal geography.

All maps are generalizations that have the dual role of depicting selected aspects, which may in turn be simplified
or exaggerated, while simultaneously excluding other aspects altogether, often idealizing their subjects and in many cases
offering up a utopian version of reality. The map’s agenda and its truthfulness may be suspect, both wholly dependent on
the interpretation, manipulation, and extrapolation of the mapmaker.

I am fascinated with a maps ability to combine both fact and fiction, to function both as a record and as speculation.
Maps can of course be highly subjective to interpretation both during their development and later through how they are
read. 

I am interested in the narrative of the map, the story it may tell, through it’s combination of science and art. Maps may be seen as portraits of a place, acting as symbolic devices to interpret a complex system. The fact and fiction of how we visualize and elucidate our world, and how that data is ultimately relayed to the viewer is what I am interested in exploring.